Friday, March 1, 2013

Why Hello Old Friend

I blame my late posting about the Oscars on post-Oscar hangover.  Not an alcoholic hangover, a hangover from all the pizza and snacks I ate.  My mom, sister, and I watched a whole day's worth of red carpet pre-pre and pre-shows as promised.  After, I realized that I had watched three hours of skinny people while I ate a whole pizza.

There were some awkward red carpet moments, like when Ryan Seacrest seemingly dissed Catherine Zeta-Jones.  Let the woman have her mani-cam moment Seacrest!  Also, Giuliana Rancic asked Reese Witherspoon what her secret to having great, shiny hair was and Witherspoon said it was post-baby hair.  Ouch, a bit insensitive considering Rancic had trouble conceiving and finally had a baby via surrogate.  (Rancic chose Witherspoon as one of her worst-dressed on Fashion Police after.  Coincidence?  I think not.)  Lastly, Jennifer Hudson felt the need to keep reminding us that she had won an Oscar.  We remember, trust us.  Wait, also, did anyone catch Octavia Spencer being listed as Viola Davis on E!?  They don't look anything alike!  I was looking around going, where's Viola Davis?

Other than the awkward moments, the red carpet was full of gorgeous gowns.  Interesting and daring they may not have been, but pretty they were.  Where was Marchesa this year?  I love their dresses usually.  My faves were Kerry Washington in a strawberry Miu Miu gown (she is flawless), Naomi Watts in a futuristic, metallic Armani Prive dress, Jessica Chastain in old Hollywood glamour-a beautiful Armani Prive dress, and finally JLaw (that never caught on for some reason) of course!  Jennifer Lawrence looked absolutely stunning.  She was so young and fresh in a Dior Haute Couture blush-colored gown that everyone said could have looked bridal.  It didn't and she looked like a winner.  Her backwards necklace caused a stir although frankly I didn't understand the purpose of it.  I just kept thinking it would be annoying having to make sure it stayed that way.



Some looks that didn't quite hit the mark were Amanda Seyfried, in an Alexander McQueen gown that seemed uncomfortable in its fitting under her arms.  You would think they could go a size up since they're so tiny.  I also didn't love Anne Hathaway's last-minute change to Prada (I don't know why she wouldn't want her winning night to be in her bestie Valentino's gown).  It did look a bit like Seyfried's dress but who cares if you look better, plus she was the one who was winning an award.  I did like her hair, though, and am trying to recreate it myself but failing kind of horribly.  (Speaking of short hair, could Charlize Theron look any more beautiful?  The woman pulls off a boy-cut like no one else, perhaps since Natalie Portman after V for Vendetta.)  I liked the dress she wore on stage to sing better (the one with the sparkles and tiers).  I don't get why Hathaway is getting so much flak, though.  She is a talented actress and seems nice even if she does try a little hard.  I have a feeling that is the way I would come off on screen whereas my sister would come off more like Jennifer Lawrence who is so incredibly funny and likable.



Now, on to the show.  Seth MacFarlane did a good job in my book considering it was his first time and there were quite some funny moments.  I cannot believe that the "We Saw Your Boobs" song has caused this much controversy.  My mom did say that he should've done a song about the men too though, like Jane Fonda has also said now.  That is MacFarlane's humor and overall he was pretty G-rated.  I think sometimes everyone in the business takes themselves a little too seriously.  If we can't get Tina Fey and Amy Poehler to host next year can we please get Kathy Griffin?  Pretty please?

There were some surprises during the night.  Ang Lee was an upset.  I figured if Ang Lee hadn't won before then maybe he should get it but he had already one for his much much better work in Brokeback Mountain.  Steven Spielberg deserved this and it seemed that Lincoln got slighted (Silver Linings Playbook did too a little).  Any other year Lincoln would have done a Titanic-like sweep.  Christoph Waltz was another surprise.  I was rooting for Tommy Lee Jones but Waltz was fantastic (probably the best thing) in Django Unchained.  He really should stick with Quentin Tarantino!

Argo won for Best Picture deservedly, Daniel Day-Lewis took home the Best Actor award, and Anne Hathaway won Best Supporting Actress.  Amour won for Best Foreign Language Film and Best Screenplay went to Django Unchained (for Original) and Argo (for Adapted).  I am so glad that Jennifer Lawrence won!  She is so charismatic and adorable.  I don't mean to seem like I'm gushing, eh who am I kidding?  I am totally gushing.  If it was even possible, her fall made her even more likable.  Flats, ladies, wear flats!

So, it was a fun night and what the Oscars should be...a show! (Channing Tatum and Charlize Theron were amazing in their dance in the opener and who knew Seth MacFarlane could sing so well?)

Ah, 'til next year...

 

1 comment: