Friday, March 1, 2013

Facebook Be Damned

As I've been away from school (Stanford University) for two years now I sometimes find myself drawn to Facebook to try and reconnect with the campus and its happenings and my peers.

This proves to be a bit masochistic as I always come away feeling more depressed.  I should remind myself of these following reasons I should stay away from Facebook:

1. Just like Mindy Kaling's book title http://theconcernsofmindykaling.com/the-book, everyone is indeed hanging out without you (or me in this case).

2. Getting messages for events that I would not have even gone to if I had been on campus is kind of annoying.  Especially when the same person keeps sending 50 billion messages a day.  I get it and I still don't want to go.

3.  Staring at the typical Stanford girls with their flowing locks and slender, athletic builds does not make me feel better.  I am what they deem "curvy" and have a pixie cut and blue hair mind you.

4.  Through mutual friends finding someone that looks really cool (or let's face it, is really cute) and realizing you will never meet them is sad.  When this causes you to almost seem as pathetic and desperate as you currently feel by wanting to message them and hoping for a pen-pal situation that will never happen makes the whole thing even sadder.

5.  Having to read through the news feed and see everyone sort of boasting but pretending not to by posting their latest accomplishment on their status feels strange as you could never bring yourself to do that without feeling silly.

6.  When we judge our worth by number of likes and friends (that aren't even real friends in the true sense of the word since we never see them or talk to them that much) the whole thing seems like a bit of a hoax.


No comments:

Post a Comment