Saturday, September 7, 2013

I'm back!

Hi readers, I've missed you.  I'm sorry for being away for so long.  I was dealing with summer classes both online and in person-although I'm convinced that online ones are more work than in person.  In person one can fudge the reading and can listen to lectures.  Basically we read the complete textbooks in 6 weeks.  I had one teacher who liked to use CAPITAL letters in her emails telling us to read the syllabus.  In my film class (which was in person and which I enjoyed) there was one student who couldn't understand why we would want to watch films from any other perspective but the American perspective.  I was about to say, "What do you think is the point of film?  We get to travel to places we will never see and meet people would probably never get to meet otherwise.  The point is for us to open our eyes."  I was just opening my mouth when another girl, albeit a little know-it-ally, said a little more bluntly, "What are you talking about?"  They proceeded to fight about Kubrick's position on war (anti-war obviously but not so obvious to our friend here who believed Kubrick loved war and that was the reason he focused on it so much).  It reminded me of when I had tutored this spring.  I was going over Shakespeare's Julius Caesar with one of my tutees.  I was giving some background on Shakespeare and how he explores human themes like love, loss, and betrayal.  My tutee then says, "Man, he had a lot of problems."

So, after surviving 3 summer classes, a home makeover (and unsuccessful garage sales-one man asked if I had any old firearms or Navajo rugs.  I hope you are not allowed to sell old firearms?), and lots and lots of swimming (oh do I have a story for you there...) I am now preparing to go back to Stanford in the fall-2 weeks away.  I will have a mobility scooter (not the cool Vespa kind, more like the elderly kind with a basket in the front).  My mom said, "You will be popular with your scooter," and I said, "I don't think that's how the whole popularity thing works.  Not that I would know."

Initially I was scared shitless (excuse my bad language here but sometimes it seems like other words don't fit) but now I guess I feel more nervous but kind of feel like, "Let's finish this up already." 

No comments:

Post a Comment