Thursday, September 19, 2013

Girls Girls Girls

I am a little late to the party but I finished Girls seasons one and two on my iPhone like a madwoman a couple of months ago.  I had heard a lot about the show, about how it is controversial and some critics love or hate it.

I found myself caring for and about the characters.  Sure they are whiny, even neurotic and desperate, at times.  I guess all of us are at some point.  That loneliness and searching comes along with my generation.  It is a package deal as we seem to be even more lost than just usual young people.

I think the beauty that lies in the silences in Girls is extremely powerful.  This point is perhaps most illustrated in one of my favorite episodes (albeit one that seems out of place in tone), "One Man's Trash."  The most affecting and agonizing scene is when Hannah opens up to only to find that we are almost disposable to one another.  She admits that really she just wants to be happy even though everyone pretends they want more.  Two lonely people find each other and still one ends up hurting the other.

There are scenes in Girls that are cringe-worthy but the fact that Lena Dunham is willing to go there is both extremely courageous and smart.

No comments:

Post a Comment