Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Quotes

I am an aficionado of quotes.  Whether it be funny ones, like when Modern Family's Cam says of Lily's biting problem: "It's like Twilight back here!" or on The Good Wife when Alicia Florrick says to her husband's female political opponent "People wonder whether men and women can be friends.  The question is, can women?"

I like quotes from books, movies, and television shows but I also like quotes or lines from songs too.  Recently I've been listening to Grace Potter's "Stars" and loving the lyrics.  I dare you to listen to this song and not feel nostalgic.  Every time I listen to it I can see certain images.  My favorite lines are:

"I lit a fire with the love you left behind
And it burned wild and crept up the mountain side...

I can't look at the stars
They make me wonder where you are...

And if I know you at all, I know you've gone too far"

Actually, I don't think Taylor Swift gets enough credit for her ability with words.  Off of her latest album, from her song "All Too Well," there's a particular phrase that I have fallen in love with.

"You call me up again just to break me like a promise.
So casually cruel in the name of being honest
I'm a crumpled up piece of paper lying here..."

A favorite poem of mine that is beautifully haunting is The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock by T.S. Eliot.

"And would it have been worth it, after all,
Would it have been worth while,     
After the sunsets and the dooryards and the sprinkled streets,
After the novels, after the teacups, after the skirts that trail along the floor—
And this, and so much more?—

We have lingered in the chambers of the sea
By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown       
Till human voices wake us, and we drown."                                   


My chest hurts and feels hollow after I read this poem no matter how many times.  As Dumbledore says to Harry, "Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it."

No comments:

Post a Comment