Saturday, February 23, 2013

Oh my, it's Time for the Oscars!

I absolutely love and adore movies (on an equal level with writing).  Old and new, quirky and haunting, all poignant in their own way.  They, like books, give us a glimpse into places we may never see and people we will never know.  They can open our eyes, make us laugh and cry, and give us an escape, if only for a little while.

I am so excited that the Oscars are tomorrow!  I am dedicating my entire day to watching the pre-pre-show, the pre-show, and all the red carpet goodness.  Bring on the pizza and the popcorn.  My family takes it seriously-winner of most accurate predictions gets lunch.  I've got this in the bag.
 

In a year of great films and not-so-great music (see further down), this awards season has been exciting.  Exciting is not usually the adjective first thought of to describe these awards shows because of past years of fairly predictable wins.  This year is up for grabs, though.  The only sure bets are Anne Hathaway for Best Supporting Actress and Daniel Day-Lewis for Best Actor.  I’m thinking that Jennifer Lawrence will and should take it for Best Actress.  Best Supporting Actor methinks will go to Tommy Lee Jones but the Academy may pull one of those “Here’s an award for all of your work that we should have rewarded earlier” and give it to Robert De Niro (or Bob as Lawrence calls him).  Christoph Waltz could be a surprise here as he won the BAFTA and Golden Globe but probably not.  Best Picture will most likely go to Argo but the division of awards is weird this year because Ben Affleck was snubbed for Best Director.

The awards shows have been fun so far, save the slowness of the BAFTAs (even the dry, witty host can’t save that).  The SAGs moved quickly and the Golden Globes were hilarious due to Amy Poehler and Tina Fey’s brilliance.  It truly was a night full of girl power and star power.  

Tina Fey and Amy Poehler hosting the Golden Globes and just being hilarious

The dresses this season have been pretty but also pretty safe.  There have not been any major blunders but some standouts have been all of Anne Hathaway’s choices (love her short hair), Marion Cotillard is always stunning (except for wearing the yellow version  of Jennifer Lawrence's SAG dress at the BAFTAs-why they made it a split level dress so that it looks like it is falling apart I'll never know), and Kerry Washington never misses.  Jennifer Lawrence looked beautiful at the Golden Globes but could even step outside of her box a little more.  Remember how gorgeous she looked at the Oscars a few years ago when she was nominated for Winter’s Bone?  She had her signature blond locks and a form-fitting red Calvin Klein dress.  **This just in, I just saw a picture of Jennifer Lawrence at the Film Independent Spirit Awards (damn you IFC for not showing on my TV) in a gorgeous short black Lanvin dress.  She looks young and fresh and I love love love it!  Jessica Chastain also chooses safe looks usually; I have to say I did not like the dress and hair she had for the Golden Globes this year. 


Anne Hathaway at the SAGs

Jennifer Lawrence at the 2011 Oscars

Jennifer Lawrence at the Golden Globes

Marion Cotillard at the Golden Globes

Music, on the other hand, has been disappointing this year.  Did anyone see the Grammys?  They were as lackluster as a potato chip.  I’ve never been so bored during the show.  My sister said we have officially entered Dante’s Inferno as Taylor Swift opened the show.  Clowns and Taylor Swift.  I like Taylor Swift but I didn’t think she needed all that stuff around her.  It was just distracting.  All the artists kept making it seem like Justin Timberlake was the best thing we'd ever seen (don't lie to us people, seriously not cool) and I don’t even like his new song, “Suit & Tie.”  If he doesn’t want to do music anymore then listening seems like a waste.
Taylor Swift opening the Grammys
  
I haven’t heard a song that I genuinely want to listen to over and over since Gotye’s haunting “Somebody That I Used to Know.”  Is it bad that I want that to be my theme song?  A few years ago my theme song was Papa Roach’s “Scars,” so it can’t be any worse than that.

I like Mumford & Sons but I liked their earlier music like “The Cave” and don’t get me wrong, Fun.’s “Some Nights” is catchy but should they have been nominated in almost every category?  I don’t think so.  One hit song or two does not a great album make.  I must be missing something because everyone loves Miguel and Frank Ocean and I just don’t get it.


Back to the movies, though.  Here are some of the movie reviews that I've written.  The films have all been nominated for Best Picture.  This year I actually have gotten to see all of the Best Pic nominees before the show.  The rest of the nominated movies' reviews to come along with a recap of the Oscars! 





No comments:

Post a Comment